Having Trouble Sleeping? Here is How to Fall Asleep in One Minute
Are you spending more than usual time falling asleep? Trying too hard may worsen the problem by making your mind stay awake, and it is difficult for the body to relax when the mind can’t sleep. But there are some scientifically-proven tricks that can help you fall asleep faster.
Trouble falling asleep is very common, with, as per research, over 35% to 50% of the global adult population having some symptoms of insomnia. From stress to a hectic lifestyle, many causes lead to sleepless nights.
But, it doesn’t mean you should adapt to existing sleep issues. A good night’s sleep is essential for health. In fact, it is as important as drinking plenty of water and exercising. If you are finding it hard to fall asleep, you must address the problem before it worsens.
Here are some tricks that may help you fall asleep in just one minute:
How to Sleep in One Minute
There are two ways to fall asleep in 60 seconds, and both of them are related to your breath and muscles. They help your mind feel relaxed. When you are a beginner, it may take some time to master these methods.
4 -7- 8 Breath
Meditation is a scientifically-proven technique to relax the mind and fall asleep. As per a study in JAMA Internal Medicine, mindfulness meditation is an effective method for people with moderate sleep.
The 4 -7- 8 Breath method combines the power of meditation with visualization. To practice this technique, keep your tongue’s tip against the roof of your mouth. Ensure it’s there the whole time during the process.
- Step 1: Begin with parting your lips. Now, exhale through your mouth.
- Step 2: Close your lips and inhale slowly through your nose. While doing that, count to four in your head.
- Step 3: Now, hold your breath for seven seconds.
- Step 4: After that, exhale through your mouth while following step 1.
Try these steps for four full breaths. While performing this cycle, ensure you aren’t too alert. Also, if you’ve asthma or COPD, consult your doctor before practicing the 4 -7- 8 Breath technique.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
Also known as PMR or deep muscle relaxation, it is a practice that helps you unwind by training your muscles to release the tension. It is an effective technique for people with insomnia.
- Step 1: Raise your eyebrows to tighten your forehead muscles. Perform this step for five seconds.
- Step 2: Relax your muscles and remain in that position for 10 seconds.
- Step 3: Stretch your cheek muscles by smiling for around five seconds. Now, wait for 10 seconds.
- Step 4: Squint for five seconds. Here, ensure that your eyes are shut. Wait for 10 seconds.
- Step 5: Perform the same process for the rest of your body.
In the End
Before starting to perform these techniques, ensure that you are fully prepared for them. Remember, you are not going to see results when you try them for the first time. Practice several times to reap their benefits. Sleep tight!
See Related Article: Why cant I sleep at night